Unit Plan: Critical Thinking & Evaluating Information (8-9)
This unit plan overview provides links to all lessons along with links to accompanying teacher support materials that include:
Student worksheets and answer guides for individual lessons
Inquiry activities (support materials are provided as needed)
NOTE - answer keys/marking guides are accessible only by teachers and are located at the bottom of this page.
Teachers can use/adapt any of these materials as needed.
When possible, content will be updated yearly for relevancy and to check links. However, teachers may find that over time links to external sources become unavailable. Teachers may want to consider replacing these with alternate sources.
Critical Thinking & Evaluating Information (8-9) lessons and links to resources are listed below.
Download worksheets and make available to your students:
- Lesson 1 The Power of the Story (approx. 10 mins)
- Activity Anyone Can Create A False Story (approx. 15 minutes)
- Lesson 2 How to Collect Trustworthy Information: The CRAAP Test (approx. 30 mins)
- Lesson 3 Primary and Secondary Sources (approx. 20 mins)
- Activity Primary & Secondary Sources Worksheet (approx. 15 minutes)
- Lesson 4 Thinking Critically About Information: Beware of Bias (approx. 20 mins)
- Activity Bias Worksheet (approx. 10 minutes)
- Lesson 5 How To Test Ideas By Creating Experiments: The Scientific Method (approx. 20 mins)
- Handout Critical Thinking & Evaluating information Worksheet (20 mins)
- Handout Science Experiment Terms Worksheet (20 mins)
- Lesson 6 Thinking Critically About Experiments: Correlation vs Causation (approx 20 minutes)
- Activity Correlation Mistaken For Causation (20 mins)
- Answer Guides—To hide from students, you have to be logged in and scroll down to the answer key section below!
Go here if you need to make a class on Kids Boost Immunity.
Go here to get your students to join.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help.
Questions? Feedback? Leave a comment below!
(sign in as a teacher to view/submit comments)