This is the Public Health Association of BC (PHABC) Privacy Statement for the Kids Boost Immunity (KBI) website and governs the collection, use and disclosure of Personal Information collected via our KBI website (“the Website”).
This Privacy Statement explains the purpose for collecting Personal Information from you in your use of our Website and the steps we take to secure that Personal Information. This Privacy Statement also explains how we can be contacted if a question arises about our privacy practices.
PHABC understands that privacy is a right for all Canadians and is committed to protecting your Personal Information. PHABC complies with the BC Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) and Canada’s federal Personal Information Protection and Electronics Document Act (PIPEDA), including the ten principles set out in the National Canadian Standards Association Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information. PHABC will always exercise due diligence in the collection, use, disclosure, storage and retention of Personal Information in the provision of our health promotion programs and services.
PHABC will continue to review this Privacy Statement to ensure it remains current with changing laws and regulations while meeting the evolving needs of the Website. In the event of any amendment to the Privacy Statement, a notice will be posted within this page. If you continue to use the Website following an amendment to the Privacy Statement, you will be deemed to have consented to the updated Privacy Statement.
In this Privacy Statement, the terms "we", "our" and "us" refer to the PHABC. The terms "you", "user", and "your" refer to a user of the Website.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
For the purposes of this Privacy Statement, the following terms will have the following meanings:
“Business Contact Information” means your business position, name or title, business address, business telephone number, business email address and business fax number.
“Personal Information” means information about an identifiable individual but does not include "Business Contact Information" or general, statistical or aggregated information. Personal Information includes name, home address, and personal contact information (including home telephone number and personal email address), and images or photographs of an identifiable individual.
The purpose of the Website is to promote the uptake of immunization through a health promotion and resource program for teachers and students. The Website provides opportunities for students to learn more about immunization and “earn” vaccines by completing quizzes. The total number of vaccines “earned” during the program are purchased by PHABC for, and distributed by, UNICEF.
PHABC limits the information we collect about users of the Website to what we need for internal business purposes only. We will first obtain your consent if we wish to use your Personal Information for any other purpose. You are free to withdraw consent for use of your Personal Information at any time by deleting your account and/or by contacting our Privacy Officer at email@example.com. Please note that withdrawing consent or deleting your account will limit your ability to use the Website.
PHABC recognizes the importance of respecting Website users’ right to privacy and adheres to the following key principles:
- PHABC is responsible for Personal Information under its control and has designated individuals to be accountable for the Association’s compliance.
- The purposes for which Personal Information is collected will be identified at the time the information is collected.
- Consent will be obtained for the collection, use, and disclosure of Personal Information, except where consent is not required by applicable law.
- The collection of Personal Information is limited to that which is related to the purposes identified by PHABC.
- Personal information will not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the user, as required by law or to enforce PHABC’s rights in connection with a breach of the Privacy Statement or to prevent prohibited or illegal activities.
- Reasonable efforts will be made to ensure that Personal Information is as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is used. PHABC relies on users of the Website to update PHABC on changes to their Personal Information.
- Personal Information will be protected by reasonable and appropriate physical, organizational, contractual and technological security measures, having regard to the sensitivity of the Personal Information.
- Information is available to the public regarding PHABC’s policies and procedures relating to the handling and management of Personal Information.
- Upon request, and within a reasonable period of time, a user of the Website will be informed of the existence, use, and disclosure of his or her Personal Information and will be given access to that information. A user is entitled to comment on the accuracy and completeness of his or her Personal Information, and have that information amended where appropriate.
PHABC, from time to time, may post user surveys on the Website. These surveys are for evaluation purposes only, to help us understand how we can improve the Website and services. If you respond to a survey, the information that you provide will only be used for analysis and reporting and will be anonymous. It will not be linked to you and cannot be used to identify you.
Disclosure and Retention of Personal Information
PHABC does not sell or trade Personal Information to third parties. Release of your Personal Information occurs only
- as set out in this Privacy Statement; or
- where we have your consent; or
- to our suppliers, third-party service providers or agents who assist us in serving you; or where we are required or permitted to do so by law.
PHABC may use information from the Website, such as IP address, time spent on each page and other analytical data for statistical reporting, Website evaluation and service improvement. This information is anonymized before analysis and will never be linked with any other information that could be used to identify you.
PHABC reserves the right (and you authorize us) to share or disclose your Personal Information when we determine, in our sole discretion, that the disclosure of such information is necessary or appropriate, including to enforce our rights against you or in connection with a breach by you of this Privacy Statement or to prevent prohibited or illegal activities. Further, PHABC may disclose Personal Information if a law, regulation, search warrant, subpoena or court order legally requires or authorizes us to do so.
Additionally, PHABC reserves the right to disclose and to transfer Personal Information to a third party in the event of a proposed or actual purchase, sale, merger, amalgamation, or any other type of acquisition, disposition, or financing of all or any portion of PHABC or any of the assets of PHABC provided that the third party represents that it will continue to use the information for the purposes set out in this Privacy Statement and in accordance with applicable privacy laws.
PHABC will retain your Personal Information for a year after collection. Should you choose to cancel or delete your Website account, your Personal Information will be kept for a minimum of one year in order to provide you with access to it in compliance with legislation.
We protect your Personal Information with appropriate safeguards and security measures and retain your Personal Information only for the time it is required for the purposes stated. Only those employees and/or contracted services involved in processing data have access to this information. Any employee found in violation of our security or Privacy Statement is subject to disciplinary action.
When you send us an email or when you ask us to respond to you by email, we learn your exact email address and any information you have included in the email. We use your email address to acknowledge your comments and/or reply to your questions, and we may store your communication and our reply in case we need to correspond further.
If you have any questions regarding this Privacy Statement, please use the “Contact Us” page to discuss your needs or concerns.
A user or visitor to the Website can address a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles to PHABC’s designated Privacy Officer by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by regular mail sent to:
Public Health Association of BC
#210 – 1027 Pandora Avenue
Victoria, BC V8V 3P6
Copyright© 2018. Public Health Association of British Columbia. All Rights Reserved.
Last updated (February 23, 2018)