The Immune System & Vaccines (Grade 8)
Created by a high school teacher, Canada
The immune system helps our body stay healthy and the use of technology like vaccines allows us to fight deadly viruses. Students will explore the topic of their own health completing a healthy living worksheet provided. They will discuss how we keep emotionally, physically, and mentally healthy every day, elaborating on topics such as infections, viruses, bacteria, and immunity. To further activate learning there is a video on the immune system and 5 facts to engage deeper discussion. Students acquire learning through completing two lessons on Kids Boost Immunity called What Is the Immune System? And, What Are Vaccines and How Do They Work? Students can then apply their learning by creating posters to help encourage healthy choices, and an assessment checklist is provided.
Teachers can adapt the lesson plan and supporting materials as needed to work for younger students (grades 4-6).
- Lesson plans and supporting materials are created by a teacher(s) and are provided as is. These can be used or adapted by other teachers as needed.
- When possible, content will be updated yearly for relevancy and to check links. However, teachers may find that over time links to external sources become unavailable. Teachers may want to consider replacing these with alternate sources.
Most links will not work in the preview below. Download here to access links or print a copy.
Download worksheets and make available to your students:
- The Immune System and How It Works Student Worksheet
- Healthy Behaviours Student Worksheet
- School Poster Checklist
- Student worksheet for online lessons (with answer key) - To hide from students, you have to be logged in and scroll down to the answer key section below!
Preview of Lesson Plan Below
Questions? Feedback? Leave a comment below!
(sign in as a teacher to view/submit comments)